Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Shannon's Setbacks... Number One, Two and Three

When I first started walking in late April I was really motivated. I mean SUPER motivated. I had gotten to the point where I was literally disgusted with the weight. I was walking and eating right. I bought a new iPod which made walking so much easier. When, out of the blue Setback Number One struck.

I was pushing Peanut in her stroller. We were trucking it down the sidewalks. It should be noted here that the sidewalks in a lovely little town are AWFUL!!!! and desperately need work because they are so uneven and cracked. We now stick to the road side because of the terrible condition of the sidewalks. Anyway, Peanut and I "was dancin' and singin' and movin' to the groovin'" when I turned my left ankle on a five inch crack in the side walk. That was sometime in mid-May. I had to stop walking for about a week to let the ankle rebuild strength.

We are fortunate to be friends with two of the world's most renowned Physical Therapists. (Okay, maybe not world renowned, but they are REALLY AWESOME!) I talked to them and began the exercises they suggested.

Setback Number Two occurred this past Friday night when I stepped off my back porch into a hole. I was so disappointed that I burst into tears. The ankle didn't hurt that badly but my heart did.

Then, this morning, the M & Ms are movin' to the groovin' when out of the blue, I hit the pavement. So, here we are, five women, one teenager and seven children stopped in the MIDDLE of the road, me down on my knees, sweat dripping off the tip of my nose. Too bad it couldn't have at least happened in the shade. It was probably really hilarious; I have a way of making my numerous falls funny. What can I say? It must
be some kind of comedic gift.

Hayley P. walks back to get a car. The rest of the group takes Peanut to my parent's house. Hayley P., Rebecca and I go to see Rebecca's soon-to-be husband Doctor Scott. So, here I am with my foot on the dashboard of Hayley P. car when I realize that I haven't shaved my legs in like five days! My toenails look like they were painted by fingerless monkey. My heels have are cracked and callused to the point of making those five inch cracks in the side walks look minuscule. Now, I am in real pain here but all I can think about is how horrific my feet look.

Hayley is quite the nurse so after leaving the Dr.'s house we go to the Physical Therapist's. It was on the drive between the two locations, again with my foot in the windshield, I notice that not only have I not shaved my legs but my big toe is fuzzy. It just gets worse and worse. Hairy legs, chipped polish, cracked heels, furry toes and all kinds of stinky!

The bad news is that I have to stay off it for a while and we missed a mile and a half of our route this morning. The good news is that we all got to take a little breather and I have a learned something very important. You remember when your grandmother used to tell you to always make sure that your underwear was clean? Well, I have now learned that it is not only important to have on clean underwear but it is equally important to keep your legs (and toes) shaved!

Have you had any setbacks in your diet / exercise routine? Share them with us!

*Side note: The x-ray is not of my ankle. It is a random image found at Google Images. Although, that foot even looks better than mine. ;)

4 comments:

  1. I have just been informed of an error in this post. Hayley RAN back to her house to get the car. She did not walk as I thought. In my defense, I was still on my knees sweating. But, she RAN none the less and that is a HUGE accomplishment! Go Hayley!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remember when I told you to always wear your spurs because you never know when you will meet a horse. I think that applies here. Lindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmmm maybe I'll shave my legs tonight . . . lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww, Shannon! Setbacks really suck! I will take note to shave my legs though. I tend to forget about it because I can't see it unless the light hits it just right and the hairs are so soft, I can go well over a week or two before NEEDING to really shave. I've had some setbacks with not feeling so well and with busy days. I wish I could just get up at 5 or 6 with such ease and exercise without worrying about what to do with my sweaty, kinky hair thereafter all the time. I know with God's help that I will soon overcome those setbacks too! So will you my friends!

    ReplyDelete