Monday, June 14, 2010

A little about Shannon

Hi! I am Shannon. I am the mother of a three and a half year old daughter whom I will call Peanut. Peanut and I moved to Manchester to be nearer my parents in May of 2008 when my ex-husband and I separated. We purchased a house down the street from Hayley and Haley; our street is a happening place! I am currently working toward a master's in Library Science and Information Studies at the University of Alabama -- Roll Tide!

Hayley Y. and I started walking in early May. The original distance was just a little more than 2 miles. We quickly progressed to 3.2 miles or a 5K. We motivate each other a lot and started pushing toward other goals like walking a full 5 miles, which we have since achieved. We started posting on Facebook and others wanted to join in. Haley B. joined us when school got out for summer. Then Jen, a friend of Hayley Y's joined. The most recent member to join is Rebecca, Hayley Y's sister. It was Rebecca's idea to make this a little more organized -- we may even get t-shirts!

As for my personal motivation, I have always struggled with my weight. When I went to college, I began putting more and more on. Then, I got married and did the whole "happy fat" thing. Now that I am single, I am happy but I am not going to be happy fat anymore!!!! I mentioned that I have a toddler. Peanut is my world. I want for the two of us to be world travelers and adventurers. This will be a lot easier if I don't have to ask for an extended seat belt on the air plane to all those adventurous locals. Also, I am a Christian and have been heavily convicted about my lifestyle. 1 Corinthians 6:19-20 reads: "Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body." I want my body to be to His glory.

We all have goals to keep us focused on the end result. In addition to creating a healthier lifestyle for Peanut and me, I have milestones that I want to reach. By Christmas 2010, I want to be able to jog, not walk, five miles. The next milestone is a swimsuit that I have not been able to wear since my freshman year in college. It is a blue Speedo size 16 (see pic). I want to be in it and look good in it no later than March 14, 2011. I leave on a cruise to the Bahamas that day. By summer 2012, I want to be a size 8 and look good in a two piece. I have the biggest goal, but that is only because I have the most to loose.

Hope you enjoy the blog! We sure are having fun walking and I know will have just as much fun blogging!

1 comment:

  1. Support, we all need support! Way to go girls!!! Zumba class starts tonight and I'm raring to go!! Oh, an I love my exercise ball! Keep up the walking and the blog!!

    ReplyDelete