Monday, June 14, 2010

Haley B

My name is Haley (not to be confused with Hayley who lives two doors down from me!) and I am a high school math teacher. I graduated from UGA (go DAWGS!!) with a bachelors in math education and have a masters from Troy in Post Secondary Instructional Technology. My husband, one of my best friends who I couldn't make it without, is a youth minister in town. We have one son, we will call him Bug. He came 6 weeks early in December and spent 17 days in the high risk and special care nurseries, they may have been the hardest days of my life. He is the light of my life! I have enjoyed being a mom, more than I have enjoyed anything else in my life. Being a short term stay at home mom over the summer has been wonderful so far!! It took us over a year to get pregnant with Bug, because I have PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome) . Though, this is something I have had my whole life, I was not diagnosed until January 2009, mostly because of my refusal to go to the doctor. To be very basic about it, my body doesn't treat insulin correctly, and instead of affecting my blood sugar like diabetes, it affects my hormones, which as you can surmise affects many areas of my body and life. I have never been able to control my weight in any direction, and birth control only seemed to make all matters worse. I did not gain weight with my pregnancy (I actually lost 6 pounds because I had gestational diabetes and was trying desperately to be good), but was overweight to begin with. Chris and I would like to have more children, and probably not too long off. PCOS is more easily managed within a good weight and healthy lifestyle. So both for the ease of getting pregnant and good health in general, I am trying to lose weight with the other manchester moms. My goal is to fit in a size 4 or 6 as soon as possible. I am taking my meds more regularly than ever, eating somewhat better, and walking with the girls. I've already lost 7 pounds! I've never blogged before, but I'm going to give it a good try!

No comments:

Post a Comment