Monday, July 19, 2010

Energy for Living

They call me...Energy Erin. (I was about to say "Tater Salad," but that is probably copyright infringement.) Okay, so I'm Erin, and I'm new here. I live in the Manchester area with my handsome husband (HH), darling daughter (1 year), and awesome son (3 years). My job is with a local school, and I love what I do. Currently, I am attending my alma mater to get my Master's degree, and I recently learned how to make coupons work for me. My hobbies are reading, singing, writing (wait a minute--do poems on the back of a receipt in the doctor's office count?), and the ambiguously titled pastime of "crafts." And, and, and....

And, I'm tired.

Energy Erin? You kiddin' me, Pancho? I'm exhausted, friends and neighbors, and I am looking for that last little bit of get-up-and-go in the fridge, the pantry, the mp3 player, the encouraging Facebook post from a friend...essentially, everywhere except the source. So, no wonder I am zapped. Somehow along the way, between thrice-weekly trips to the Pig for milk and scavenging through the clearance aisle at drug stores, I became unplugged from God and what He wants for me.

He wants peace for me. He wants stillness. He wants acknowledgement that I am not in charge of my life, or even the lives of my children and family. He wants surrender. He wants brokenness. He wants me to show him the dirty and disheveled rooms of my heart and ask Him to help me do some serious spring cleaning.

And then, when there is nothing else to say or do but praise God for all He has given me--so much!--I will have energy for living this life He blessed me with. I will have energy to screech to a halt in front of a good friend's house at 7:16 in the morning so we can walk and talk. I will have energy to fix a healthy meal for my family instead of giving in to takeout.

All I have to do is plug in to the source of it all: my loving God who just can't wait to see what hare-brained scheme I come up with next. He won't roll His eyes, like some HH's I know.

Well, He won't roll them much.

No comments:

Post a Comment